Friday, June 25, 2010

Gardens Upside/Downside 7" review


Upside A-Alive in 5d
Downside B-Mazetime


Released on Just for the hell of it Records
A limited one time pressing of 500 copies.

Gardens is:
Jeffrey-Guitar & Vocals
Matt-Guitar & Vocals
Vince-Bass & Vocals
Julian-Drums


This Garden's record is they're second 7inch release. Their first being, "Gardens In Novelty Land." The Gardens Upside/Downside 7" is a very good 7" inch for how they recorded it. During the interview I had with them they told me it was recorded on an 8track recorder. I would imagine they hooked it up to a mixer and had about as many mics as they could possibly use to record. Anyways, this is a lo-fi 7" inch. They're live show is slightly different sounding. Which is what i'm pretty used to hearing. I feel like the lo-fi sound works very well for this 7" but I just have a few problems with it. I feel like the guitar/vocals, and drums are at a good level but you can just barely hear the bass in both songs. In Alive in 5d, it's there moreso but it doesn't stand out as much as I would like. In mazetime it is flat-out getting over powered by guitar and drums. It won't take away from the 7" inch that much and it's still a really good listen. I just observed this and it was probably because the band told me they like to do live instrumental tracks when they record. Doing live tracks this good with an 8track is pretty damn hard so I do have to hand it to them for producing something this good for how they did it.

The overall production of the 7" is pretty good. I love the artwork. They decided to put the lyrics in the 7" sleeve which I thought was really cool because you don't see a lot of that in a 7" release. I would go into the lyrics and what they mean and all that jargon but I don't think it's necessary. You have to see it in your hands and read it off the paper to really appreciate it in it's entirety.


To order : http://www.myspace.com/justforthehellofitrecords
to order:

paypal to: justforthehellofitrecords@gmail.com

$6 ppd. USA, $7 Mexico and Canada, $9 rest of world

or send cash or money orders to:
just for the hell of it records
p.o. box 28187 Portland OR 97228


For their first 7inch release-Gardens In Novelty Land

www.italyrecordsdetroit.com

Stormy Records - Dearborn, MI
Car City Records - St. Clair Shores, MI
Flipside Records - Clawson, MI
Record Time - Roseville, MI
Encore Records - Ann Arbor, MI
Underground Sounds - Ann Arbor, MI
Wazoo! Records - Ann Arbor, MI
Rockit Scientist Records - NYC

& IF YOU'VE NEVER HEARD GARDENS GO TO:

http://www.myspace.com/gardensforfree